You may have noticed that we’re out of stock of quite a few products from Andalou Naturals.
Now, I’m a fan of Andalou Naturals. I use quite a few of their products myself. Their hair care range is great, and I’ve used it for years. But they’ve recently reformulated some products. And in the reformulations they’ve decided to use some silicone based ingredients, amodimethicone and dimethicone.
Amodimethicone scores a 1 in the EWG Skindeep database. Dimethicone scores a 3. So they’re not super awful toxic. But I’ve decided to withdraw the new formulations because I know that you don’t like silicones. Indeed I’ve written in the past about why you should avoid them.
I emailed Andalou to ask why they were using silicones. This is their response:
“After careful review, we have acknowledged that our decision to recently include silicone based ingredients-including Dimethicone- was in error and we are immediately working to remove such ingredients from our skin care formulations. While many respected ingredient databases and authorities support the use of silicone based ingredients in natural formulas, our passionate consumers have spoken, and we have listened. Going forward with new production runs these ingredients will be replaced. You can expect to see this update on our packaging and website in the very near future.”
Personally, I’m happy with that.
Why I’m a fan of Andalou Naturals
Here’s what I love about Andalou:
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Gluten Free Verified
- Cruelty free
- Sustainably sourced and Fair Trade Ingredients
- Organic ingredients
All of their products are vegetarian. In addition, most of the range is vegan. So here’s the ones that are not, and what’s in them:
- Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk: Lactobacillus (yogurt)
- Argan + Mint Lip Remedy: Beeswax
- BioActive 8 Berry Fruit Enzyme Mask: Manuka honey
- Get Started Kit-Age Defying: Lactobacillus (yogurt) & Manuka honey
- Get Started Kit-Brightening: Lactobacillus (yogurt) & Manuka honey
- Lemon Sugar Facial Scrub: Manuka honey
- Meyer Lemon Creamy Cleanser: Manuka honey
- Probiotic + C Renewal Cream: Lactobacillus (yogurt)
- Pumpkin Honey Glycolic Mask: Manuka honey
What happens next?
In the meantime, I’ll keep an eye out for the new formulations. When Andalou reformulates without the silicones, we’ll restock at Hello Charlie.
Finally, if you’ve got any questions, feel free to give me a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or pop your thoughts in the comments, below!