Konjac sponges are the hottest new trend in skincare, and for good reason. They’re a gentle, all natural way to get smooth, glowing beautiful skin on your face and body. At first, they were all the rage in Japan, but over the last few years, konjac sponges have made their way around the world. They’ve been reviewed and praised by dermatologists, beauty experts and publications like Allure and New York magazine.
What are konjac sponges made from?
These delicate sponges are made from the root of the konjac plant, a potato-like plant found in Asia. The Japanese first started using konjac as a food source over 1,500 years ago. Over the last century, konjac has become popular as a beauty treatment. Konjac sponges are made from the fibres of the konjac plant and combined with other natural ingredients. Green tea extracts, grape extracts, rosehip and pomegranate extracts, turmeric and even clay extracts – these are just some of the versions that you can find.
What’s so good about konjac sponges?
The soft, squishy texture of konjac sponges make them extremely gentle on skin. They’re safe to use on any skin type, including dry, sun damaged and sensitive skin. They’re even safe for people with acne and rosacea.
They work by gently exfoliating skin, removing dead skin cells, dirt oil and blackheads, and refining pores. They’re also much more effective at removing makeup than cleanser alone. The squishy texture builds a rich lather that cleans better than a washcloth or just using your hands. You can use a konjac sponge with your favorite cleanser, or with just water. They’re so gentle that it’s safe to use them every day. With regular use, your skin will be noticeably smoother and softer.
The all natural, plant based ingredients used in konjac sponges mean that they contain no harsh chemicals that can dry or irritate your skin. Because they’re biodegradable, you can compost your sponges when you’re done with them. So, they’re not just wonderful for your skin, they’re great for the environment too!
How to use your konjac sponge
- When you first open your konjac sponge, will be hard and stiff. Soak it in warm water for a few minutes, until it’s soft and puffy.
- Splash your face with warm water.
- Add a few drops of cleanser to the sponge. It builds such a rich lather that a little bit goes a long way.
- Gently massage your face with the sponge in a circular motion.
- Rinse your face and the sponge completely.
- Gently squeeze the sponge to get any excess water out.
- Store the sponge in a cool, dry place.
- Use for up to three months, or until it begins to deteriorate. Then, compost the sponge in your garden, or add it to the bottom of a flower pot to help the soil retain moisture.
Hello Charlie is now stocking Andalou Naturals range of konjac sponges for face and body. Shop the range at Hello Charlie!
Have you used a konjac sponge for your face or body? Let us know what you think!