Sunshine. It’s life giving, yet dangerous. The combination of 246 sunny days per year, our love of the outdoors and the large percentage of fair skinned people here in Australia means we still have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.
We get asked a lot of questions about sunscreen here at Hello Charlie. Understandable, really, as we’re pretty big around here on getting rid of toxic chemicals in our skincare. You’ll often hear me saying that one of the ways to cut down on unnecessary chemicals in your skincare is to simply cut down on the amount of skincare products that you use. However, sunscreen isn’t one of these. You can get away without using moisturiser, or shampoo, but if you live in Australia, you simply can’t get away without using sunscreen.
In the years since I’ve been doing this sunscreen cheat sheet, not a lot of new sunscreens with natural physical blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide have come on the market. This is because it’s pretty tricky to release a new sunscreen in Australia, thanks to the very strict standards set by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), which regulates sunscreens here.
Before you start browsing the sunscreens, there’s a couple of things you need to know:
1. All sunscreens sold in Australian must be registered with the TGA. This is because they are formulated to prevent skin cancer.
2.TGA regulations don’t require manufacturers to list ingredients on products with a therapeutic purpose (as sunscreens prevent cancer, they fall into this category).
3.The TGA regulates sunscreens, but not cosmetics with sunscreen ingredients (that’s up to NICNAS).
So if you’re looking for a product that’s not listed here, it may be because the manufacturer hasn’t listed the ingredients, which they are quite entitled to do, but makes it very hard to review. Or it may be that the product isn’t a sunscreen at all, but is a cosmetic with sunscreen ingredients. (There’s more info about that here).
You can check out my ‘Moisturisers with SPF’ cheat sheet, and don’t forget to have a look at the ingredients you should avoid in sunscreens. And then download a copy of my free ebook to find out which natural sunscreens I would use on myself and my family, and which ones I won’t!
Best Natural Sunscreens: Researched and Reviewed
Here’s all the natural sunscreens I reviewed, in alphabetical order. To see which ones I choose to use myself, you’ll have to grab your free copy of the ebook!
- 123 Nourish Me Hello Sunshine Facestick
- 123 Nourish Me Hello Sunshine Sunscreen
- ABC Arbonne Baby Care Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30
- A Bit Hippy Vegan Natural Sunscreen SPF 40
- Arbonne RE9 Advanced Prepwork Soft Focus Veil Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen
- Badger Unscented Sunscreen SPF30
- Dermatologica Protection 50 Sport SPF50
- Dermatologica Ultra Sensitive Tint SPF30
- Eco by Sonya Natural Sunscreen
- Eco Logical Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+
- Eco Logical Body Sunscreen SPF 30+
- Eco Logical Face Sunscreen SPF 30+
- Graham’s Natural Sunclear Sunscreen SPF 30+
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Spray SPF50+
- Life Basics Sunscreen
- Little Innoscents Natural Sunscreen SPF30+
- Little Urchin Natural Sunscreen
- Medik8 Physical Sunscreen SPF30
- Milk & Co Protect Me+ SPF30+ Sunscreen
- Modere Sunscreen SPF 50+
- Moo Goo Natural Sunscreen SPF 40
- Natural Instinct Invisible Natural Sunscreen SPF 30
- Natural Instinct Natural Kids Sunscreen SPF 30
- Natural Instinct Tinted Face Sunscreen SPF 30
- Simple As That Natural Sunscreen SPF30+
- Skinstitut Age Defence SPF50+
- Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen SPF 30+
- Sun Bum Baby Bum Premium Natural Lotion SPF30
- Sun Bum Baby Bum Mineral Face Stick Fragrance Free SPF50
- Sun Bum Face Stick SPF30
- Sun Bum Original Spray Sunscreen SPF30
- UV Natural Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+
- UV Natural Sport Lip Sunscreen SPF30+
- UV Natural Sport Sunscreen SPF30+
- UV Natural Sunscreen SPF30+
- Wotnot 30 SPF Natural Baby Sunscreen
- Wotnot 30 SPF Natural Sunscreen
- Wotnot Facial Sunscreen SPF 30
- Dr Zoo Natural Zinc Free Pet Sunscreen
Read the free ebook now!
All this and more is in our brand new ebook: Best Natural Sunscreens Cheat Sheet. And because I love my readers (that’s you!) so much, there’s even a special bonus for you at the very end of the ebook. You’ll get 10% off all the sunscreens we stock at Hello Charlie. And trust me, if we stock them at Hello Charlie, they’re awesome.
It’s right here, and it’s free, so what are you waiting for? Download your free ebook now! Our natural sunscreens cheat sheet will tell you which sunblocks I choose to use on my family this summer.
Further reading on best natural sunscreens
We’ve got lots of other sunscreen articles that you might find useful, too:
- Cheat Sheet: Best Moisturisers with SPF
- Hello Sunshine! 123 Nourish Me Sunscreen Review
- Shopping Guide to Natural Sunscreen
- Wotnot’s New Face Sunscreen – Reviewed
- How to Choose a Good Natural Sunscreen
- The Ultimate Guide to Toxic Sunscreen Ingredients
- Oxybenzone: The Sunscreen Ingredient that’s Killing our Coral
- Why You Won’t Find Organic Sunscreens in Australia
- Active Ingredients in Sunscreens: Absorbers vs Barriers
- What Is Retinyl Palmitate? (And Why You Should Avoid It)
- Little Urchin Sunscreen Review
- Simple As That Natural Sunscreen – Reviewed
- Natural Instinct Are Now Disclosing Their Sunscreen Ingredients
Are we missing any?
I’ve tried to include every single natural sunscreen available in Australia, but if I’m missing any, let me know! Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the sunscreen and a link, or pop it into the comments below.
So go on, grab yourself a cuppa and get reading!
Like this? Why not Pin it?